Man in hospital, dog dead in Kelowna toxic gas incident

Man in hospital, dog dead in Kelowna toxic gas incident by The Canadian Press, August 7, 2012
A Kelowna man remains in hospital, two other people were treated and one dog has died after toxic fumes seeped out at a cattle feeding operation in a rural area northeast of Kelowna. The incident happened just before 9 a.m. Monday as a 45-year-old man was using a tractor to move manure. Platoon Capt. Dale Calhoun of the Kelowna Fire Department said the digging likely released a pocket of methane gas, which floated near the ground, killing the family dog. Calhoun says the man had jumped down from his tractor to help his pet and had used his cell to call for help from family members before he was knocked unconscious by the deadly gas. The man’s mother and brother pulled him away from danger, but not before he had been exposed to the gas for as long as 15 minutes. The man’s mother said her son is in stable condition awaiting tests to determine if he will suffer any lasting damage. An RCMP investigation is underway. [Emphasis added]

This entry was posted in Global Frac News. Bookmark the permalink.